Tried and true, the spotlight shines today on two highly underrated articles of clothing that can get you from day to night and back again. No need to ditch your college education in favor of funding your next shopping binge as these pieces are most likely hiding in your closet beneath the layers of trends that have unfortunately gone sour over the past five years. What makes that lackluster t-shirt worth your while? It can be worn in more ways than you’ve probably considered, making it an ‘adaptive’ piece that can remix your wardrobe and churn out several ensembles; and we’re going to show you how.
The Graphic Tee: You heard it in the intro, although that probably wasn’t the first place, there’s no justification to limit yourself to a t-shirt and jeans combination on days when you couldn’t possibly motivate yourself to dress up. Why is that? Basically because t-shirts are famous among fashion enthusiasts for their blank canvas appeal.
Variations: The trick to tricking the public eye into believing you didn’t wear that shirt last week? Layering and accessorizing. You really don’t even have to stray too far from your typical pairing with jeans!
1. There’s a statement necklace out there for everyone, and basically any style you choose will be likely to enhance the overall composition of your basic tee. Brightly colored adornments speak volumes against a plain white backdrop.
2. Roll up those sleeves and tuck that tee into something patterned! I’m biased to a nicely-tailored pair of patterned shorts, but if you’d rather give skirts a twirl, by all means. Stay within the color scheme of your top’s design (if there is one) and you’re set for a day of play. Seriously, roll up those sleeves though for better structure throughout.
3. Give the look some bulk n’ texture. Deep down inside, we all want reason to own a fuzzy sweater or cardigan. They look so ridiculous, yet so alluring, but what would you even wear it over? Scratch that, think of your collection of abandoned tees and tell me what you wouldn’t wear it over.
The Bulky Crewneck: We’re all begging to be able to wear our favorite sweatshirt out of the house with our chin up high, maybe even expecting a compliment or two. But… it’s a sweatshirt. Remix that lackluster concept with some classy accents that keep the look pulled together and, dare I say, polished.
1. Jutting a collar out of a sweater’s neckline isn’t limited to the cast of Degrassi. It doesn’t even have to look so prudish! See, it’s all in the pairing’s proportions. You have the sleek, prim collar to balance out the mass of cotton blend fabric, paired with a tight pant. Voila!
2. Now to offer a feminine take; Could it really be as easy as pulling a sweatshirt over your favorite dress? Why, yes. I believe it can.